We welcome all Yoga enthusiasts to discuss the next topic in our blog series for chakras. Our previous two blogs have discussed the importance of chakras (CLICK HERE to read the blog) and the role of Yoga asanas in activating the chakras (CLICK HERE to read the blog). Today, we will discuss the role of meditation in opening and aligning the chakras.
Chakras are intangible, spinning wheels of energy that channel the subtle life force throughout the body. They are an invisible force that constantly works to bring harmony across health’s physical, mental, and spiritual planes. Therefore, unbalanced chakras can disturb the state of coordination of human health.
Exercise is not a luxury but an important life choice to maintain good health. Physical exercise shapes one’s body, and constructive activities stimulate one’s mind to develop. Similarly, the chakras need some action to keep them open and aligned with one another. Yoga provides the perfect workout, in the form of physical asanas and meditation, to maintain the functions of the chakras.
Yoga is an ancient holistic discipline of life that originated in India. Ancient Indian scriptures written in the Sanskrit language explain the connection between chakras and Yoga. Religious Hindu scriptures like the Vedas were the first to mention Chakras. The Vedas describe the Chakras to bear a resemblance to a lotus that has numerous petals. Each petal of the Chakra resonates with the sound vibrations of specific syllables of the Sanskrit language. Meditation and chanting create the necessary vibrations that correspond with the chakras’ vibrations and open them.
Effective meditation requires skill, refined techniques, and considerable practice. (CLICK HERE to know more about meditation and chanting). Let us learn more about meditation’s vital role in establishing chakras’ functions.
How To Open Your Chakras With Meditation
Meditation is a gradual process that begins in calm and serene surroundings and culminates with a surge in one’s internal energy levels. People meditate for good health, to achieve personal goals, or to focus on their spiritual well-being. Meditation is a great way to open and align the seven chakras of the body with one another. The steps for meditation remain the same, but one may augment the effects of meditation by defining their objective and focusing on their goals.
Meditation focuses on your goals while allowing your body and mind to relax. It would help if you were in quiet and pleasant surroundings while you meditate. A brightly lit corner of your apartment, your favorite spot on your patio, or a quiet corner in your backyard could be the perfect place for you to meditate.
- Relax your mind and body before you begin meditation.
- You may sit on the floor, chair, or sofa, according to your convenience.
- Focus on the Chakra you are working on or the one you think is blocked or unbalanced.
- Begin meditating by focusing on the root chakra and work your way upward.
- When you focus on one Chakra, visualize it as a spinning wheel of energy in the region of your body corresponding to that Chakra.
- Visualize the Chakra along with the color which is associated with it.
- You may choose a chant or hymn and recite it in a clear voice as you meditate. You will experience an energy surge as the vibrations of the chants resonate with your chakras.
A fruitful meditation session can last between 20-60 minutes; however, you may meditate longer if you wish to. Repeated practice of meditation to open your chakras will allow you to understand yourself better. As you gain expertise in chakra meditation, you can expertly deduce the opening and alignment of each chakra.
The Best Mantras For Chakra Meditation
Mantra is a word of spiritual or religious importance that people repeat while they meditate. It is usually a single syllable or a short collection of syllables with strong pronunciation. Hindu and Buddhist religious teachings believe that mantras are potent enough to evoke spiritual powers that can change a person’s life course.
As mentioned earlier in the article, the Vedas describe the chakras as lotus-shaped wheels of energy that resonate with the vibrations of specific Sanskrit language syllables.
Let us get to know the mantras to which the chakras respond in the best manner.
- Root Chakra
The Sanskrit mantra best suited to open and align the root chakra is ‘Lam.’
- Sacral Chakra
The Sacral Chakra responds best when stimulated with the pronunciation of the syllable ‘Vam.’
- Solar Plexus Chakra
The syllable ‘Ram’ vibrations resonate closely with the solar plexus chakra’s vibrations.
- Heart Chakra
Begin your meditation session by chanting the syllable ‘Yam’ to open your heart Chakra.
- Throat Chakra
You can open and align your throat Chakra by chanting the syllable ‘Ham.’
- Third Eye Chakra
The third eye chakra resonates with the vibrations generated by chanting the syllable ‘Om’ while you meditate.
- Crown Chakra
The final syllable one must remember during chakra meditation is ‘So-Ham.’ This joint syllable is closely associated with the opening and alignment of the crown chakra.
The seemingly simple syllables are, in fact, very powerful and are known as Beej Mantras. (CLICK HERE to learn the concept of Beej mantras).
Beej mantras can evoke great spiritual powers within a person. Chanting the Beej mantras requires great precision, as they require clear pronunciation. One must practice several mantras to become familiar with their meaning and importance. The Beej mantras can generate vibrations that eventually open and align the chakras. Therefore, people are strongly advised to learn the Beej mantras under professional guidance.
There are various guided chakra meditation sessions available across several online platforms. But for the best results, it is advisable to contact a certified Yoga teacher and learn chakra meditation techniques under professional guidance.
Benefits Of Chakra Meditation
Meditation and Yoga are influential in shaping a person’s health and well-being. While chakra meditation primarily focuses on the seven chakras of the body, it also serves other health benefits. Along with its invaluable contribution to a person’s spiritual growth, chakra meditation significantly influences their physical and mental health.
- Chakra meditation promotes emotional cleansing, which enables people to let go of stressful thoughts, painful memories, and unnecessary negativity that they may be carrying.
- Chanting Beej mantras during chakra meditation creates vibrations that open the chakras and enhance various physiological functions.
- Chakra meditation enhances cardiac functions and stimulates healthy blood circulation.
- Psychological disturbances like anxiety disorder, mood swings, and depression respond positively to chakra meditation.
- Chakra meditation enhances the levels of hormones circulating in a person’s body and curbs hormonal imbalance.
- Regular chakra meditation is likely to boost one’s physical stamina and energy.
- Chakra meditation acts like an immunity booster and keeps several allergies, infections, and systemic disorders at bay.
- With regular practice of chakra meditation, one finds it easier to continue their journey of spiritual enlightenment.
- Those who practice chakra meditation regularly find it easier to master control of their emotions rather than allowing them to control them.
Chakra meditation maintains harmony between health’s spiritual, physical, and mental planes. Many conditions of poor health respond miraculously to chakra meditation. However, one must note that chakra meditation is not a substitute for any mainstream medical or surgical treatment. More severe diseases, including structural damage to any organ, may not be treated with chakra meditation.
Chakra meditation is like a health tonic that one may include in their daily routine to enjoy a fulfilling life!